This past weekend my mom and I whipped up one of my favorite ‘salads.’
I love this simple orzo salad during the summer as a side with dinner or to mix in with shredded chicken. It’s super light and delicious and always goes over really well at my house.
What You’ll Need:
1 cup uncooked orzo
4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup pitted Kalmata olives, halved
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/3 cup feta cheese
1/2 cup cucumber, diced
2 tbsp. capers
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
What You’ll Do:
1. Cook the orzo in chicken broth and then chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
2. While orzo is chilling, chop up onions, cucumbers, and olives.
3. In a large bowl, combine feta, olives, cucumbers, capers, onions, and chilled orzo.
4. Slowly mix in olive oil and then red wine vinegar.
5. Chill for another 15 to 20 minutes in fridge before serving.
What You’ll Need to Know:
My mom’s tip is to cook the orzo in chicken broth, like you would quinoa, in order to give it more flavor and it makes SUCH a difference. She sometimes uses an Italian dressing instead of olive oil or red wine vinegar if she’s in a pinch in order to speed up the process. Also, I really love vinegar, so I added a little bit more to my serving.
I hope y’all enjoy and let me know what your favorite summer sides are.